Glass plays an important role in modern façade with considerations of Appearance, Looks, shade, thermal comfort, safety, availability & hence a right selection is crucial part of façade design.
At glass experts we are expertise in glass selections issues we plan our solutions right from
- Façade Design stages
- Constructions stages
- Post Execution Investigations
- Provide FEA analysis reports of Glass for stress & deflection analysis & select the glass based on ASTM standards.
- Provide Sun path Analysis of your façade based on your site conditions.
- Provide day light & illumination reports for appropriate comfort levels inside the building.
- Provide Solar Heat gain reports & shading studies to determine how much heat gain can be saved.
- Provide Thermal analysis reports for complete façade u values of frames & glass.
- Provide specifications based on the applications in façade
(Façade Glass – HS Mostly preferred, Toughened & Laminated).
(Canopies – Laminated Glass)
(Skylights – Laminated Glass)
(Railings – Laminated Glass)
- Provide reports considering green Building norms, GRIHA norms, and LEED norms for those who want green building aspects to be covered for facades.
- Provide acoustic study reports based on the site where we use a Decibel meter to record the sound levels at respective floors & provide our clients with better acoustic solutions in Windows & Facades.
- Provide Report on Return on Investment done for a value added product.
- Quality Audits of Glass processing with respect to standards like processing quality reports, Physical glass inspection reports.
- Conduct physical tests for samples & specimens.
- Provide Quality process guidance for DGu’s right from byte size to airspace, desiccant selections etc.
- Verify code / standards requirements.
- Onsite handling & stacking guidance & inspection reports.
- Installed Quality checks as per standards.
- Guidance on Loading & unloading very heavy & big jumbo sizes glasses.
Post Execution Investigations:
- Conduct report analysis on DGU failures & breakages.
- Study & solutions on delaminating of laminated glass.
- Verifications of technical parameters like solar heat gain Coefficient, Light Transmittance & thermal testing.
- Reports on random or spontaneous breakages.
We believe modern facades will have to cater to these issues & find out solutions well in advance in planning stages rather than watch helplessly at the finishing stage of the project.
Some common Glass types used in facades
Annealed Glass –
Also called float glass which can be Cut, machined, drilled, edge polished & processed as per customer needs.
Heat Strengthened Glass (HS)
Heat-strengthened glass is a processed glass subjected to heating & cooling cycle & is 2 times stronger than annealed glass. It has resistance to thermal loads. It is not safety glass when broken breaks like tempered glass. Widely used for façade applications as due to low core tensions in HS glass this rarely breaks spontaneously.
Tempered Glass or Toughened Glass
This glass is 4 to 5 times stronger than the Annealed Glass. Mostly used in spider gazing applications in India. This is also called safety glass as it breaks into smaller pieces when broken. Susceptible to failure due to NIS impurity.
Lamination is a popular method of creating a maximum safety glass since when broken the pieces of glass stick together and don’t fallout. This is combination of 2 or more glasses with PVB (Polyvinyl Butyral) interlayer. 2 or more glasses are bonded together which could be annealed, Hs, tempered with a process of cleaning, application of PVB , Autoclaving, unloading & edge sealing. End product is transparent and preserves aesthetic appearance.
** (Various other lamination processes are available).
Double Glazed Units
Most widely used glass in facades in Vision panels to control heat transfer in the façade. Also called Insulated Glass where 2 panes of glass are separated by a spacer made of metals. Ideal space between 2 glass is 12mm. IGU’s are manufactured in a clean environments with polyisobutyl applied to face of the spacer to bond both glasses. Spacer is filled with desiccant which removes traces of humidity from the air so that no water appears on inside face of the glass. The heat loss due to convections is eliminated. DGUs also help in less deflection due to box type constructions & have acoustic insulating properties. Life of DGU depends on raw materials used and ideally they have life of 10 to 20 years as per norms.( For more details contact us).
By Prashant Thakkar