Ethylene Tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) the new material earlier developed for aeronautic insulation around 1930’s is now eveolving as the new Architectural material for façade.
ETFE was widely used in 2008 summer olympics for building facades.
Material Advantages in Façade.
- Ethylene Tetrafluoroethlene
- Weight 350 gms/sqmtr.
- Thickness one layer 200 microns.
- Fire Resistant Class B1
- Good light transmitance.
- Life minimum 20 years without loosing transperency & maximum upto 40 years.
- Non stick in nature.
- Self Cleaning as no dust adheres to.
- Can be used in Multiple layers & air blown from inside.
- High level heat retention.
- ETFE panels are prefabricated & pneumatically pre stressed ETFE obtains their integrity from air inflation system. Air inflated needs controlled moisture or no dust particles within the gap.
- 100% Recyclable
Source : cenews.com
Source : http://www.thearchitect.lk
- Transmits more sound in the room.
- When used in multiple layers steady air pressure maintaining is challenging.
- Not recommended for small projects as it becomes expensive.
Source – cenews.com